Some things to keep in mind for maintaining legacy hardware compatibility.
Future OA versions may support these better, in several ways:
- Shader hacks by commands commented out by a prefix for special parsing, such as //PCXHACK, //RAGEHACK
- There will be more care taken with new shaders
3dfx Voodoo Edit
- The maximum texture size is 256x256. While OpenArena uses a lot of 512x512 and 1024x1024 on some occasions, the card will rescale it to 256x256 on load. This can lead to quality loss.
- 16-bit color only.
- Bloom doesn't work.
PowerVR PCX2 Edit
- You can not specify any blend modes on this card.
- If you want something opaque, it has to be a 24-bit RGB texture (TGA, JPG).
- If you want something alpha blended, it has to be a 32-bit RGBA texture (TGA)
- You can modulate alpha in 4-bit precision. Fade outs will look choppy.
- Very sensitive to polygons, so when _2 .md3 LoDs are made, they have to be really low for this card to perform well
- Can't blend lightmaps, so it has to play with vertex lighting.
- The maximum texture size is 256x256.
- The MINIMUM texture size is 32x32. A high picmip will yield graphical artifacts.
- PowerVR's MiniGL do not support glArrayElement so things will not render. The only MiniGL known to work is Techland's.
ATI Rage Pro Edit
- Notoriously slow at alpha blending, so try to substitute additive where you can instead.
Nvidia RIVA 128 Edit
- Poor precision in multiply blending