Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
After the source code of Quake III Arena has been released by id Software, programmers have been able to improve it and use it for their own games. The ioq3 team corrected many bugs and security issues and also adds features to the original engine while maintaining compatibility.
ioquake3 allows two major things:
- It can be used in place of the original Quake 3 engine executable. You still need a copy of Quake 3, because models and maps are still under the copyright of id Software. ioquake3 only consists of the engine, not game assets.
"Data installer download" from their site runs a "wizard" that will ask for your Quake3 (and optionally Team Arena) CD (to get pak0.pk3 file) and already contains the additional pk3 files from Q3 1.32 PointRelease.
- It can be used to create "standalone" versions from games that were formerly requiring a copy of Quake 3 (i.e. running as a mod under Quake 3). This allowed the creation of OpenArena and other games that use ioq3. Standalone games that do not require compatibility with id Tech 3 can also benefit from further improvements in the ioquake3 engine.
Some projects which use the ioquake3 engine:
- OpenArena (Wikipedia about OA)
- Tremulous (Wikipedia about trem)
- Smokin' Guns (Wikipedia about SG)
- Urban Terror (Wikipedia about UrT)
- World of Padman (Wikipedia about WoP)
|<< Previous (Quake Live)||Q3A||(Quake III Revolution) Next >>|