Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
| Archon for Q3:A|
Kris 'Mr_Grim' Rigby
Archon for Q3:A, or simply ARQ, is an interesting mod for Quake III Arena, inspired by an old game called "Archon". It is similar to a chess game (main game screen is a chessboard), but when two characters get on the same square, they are transferred to a Quake 3 Arena/OpenArena map (you select a map before beginning the game) and the two fight until one of them dies, conquering the square. Characters are divided into "light" and "dark" sides, that alternate movement on the chessboard. Objective is to destroy all enemy pieces.
The two teams are formed by various types of characters; each type has a different starting health level, different movement range on chessboard, and its unique weapon for the fighting section (weapons are modified from the standard Quake 3 Arena). There are some "power point" squares that enhance pieces that stand on them. Each team has got a character able to use some magic powers (for example, to heal another piece).
Readme.txt file in the mod's folder explains some rules. Take a look!
Tip: it is advisable to use small maps, to easily find your opponent during the fight sections. Anyway, finding him is helped by the fact that you will always see his name over his head, even if he's behind walls. Remember that the lava will not kill you and, when falling into a deadly pit, you should be teleported on the ground again.
Copy the mod to your OA folder. After that, download and install the apposite OA patch (see download mirrors below).
Compatibility chart Edit
|Works||Mod Version||OA Version||Notes||Operating System|
|No||061002||0.8.5||Not working. Game starts, but you can't join a team. No version referred in readme.txt file (061002 is part of the downloaded zip file name).|
|Yes||061002 + Patch for OA||0.8.5||After installing the additional patch, it works as perfectly as it would on Quake 3.|
- If you want to launch the game from the included Windows batch file (arq.bat), remember to modify it to start openarena instead of quake3.
- If you use the in-game "join" menu to change your "side", you will always end in spectating. This affects the mod also under Q3A. If you know a workaround, please write it here.
- When creating a multiplayer match, sometimes it happens that many error messages appear in console, talking about an "out of range" error for g_knockback variable. This affects the mod also under Q3A. If you know a workaround, please write it here.
Download mirrors Edit
OA 0.8.5 Compatibility Patch Edit
- Alternate download location on Dropbox
- OA Forums (Login required for downloading from here. Forum allows to contact OA patch author, Graion.)
- ARQ at PlanetQuake
- Article about the old game Archon on Wikipedia
- ARQ's former website at internet archive; ARQ section.
- Chess III Arena. An external chess game that uses md3 character models taken from OpenArena. If you own a copy of Quake III Arena, you can use its models instead of the ones from OpenArena. It is much simpler game than ARQ.
|<< Previous (Animal Arena)||ModCompat||(Assault) Next >>|