Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
In this page you will find some graphic resourcers and tutorials about making graphic game art.
Note: like all the other stuff, any official texture in OpenArena must be under the GPLv2 license (or under Public Domain), not GPLv3. If you used a multi-layer image to create a texture, aside of the final .tga, .jpg or .png, you must include as well the "source" .psd, .xcf or other multi-layer format file. See also DeveloperFAQ#License.
And respect the copyright of others! You can re-use only Public Domain or GPLv2 stuff (in the latter case, you must mention the original authors, too).
DO NOT use "progressive encoding" in JPG files for OA, because some versions of the engine are not capable of loading maps containing them.
For best results, texture sizes (height and width) should be power of two (see also Manual/Graphic options#Round images down/up).
The GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) is a popular and powerful replacement for Adobe Photoshop. While there are several places this can be obtained, The GIMP's official website cautions users to only download the program from their page or the sites they specifically link to. Please do not link to tutorials from GIMPshop on this page.
- GIMP - Tutorials The entire list of tutorials available on the GIMP website. Should almost always be the most up-to-date resource.
- Introduction to GIMP - this was made for GIMP v2.4.6, so it's bound to have outdated information.
- GIMP Tutorials (gimp-tutorials.net) - This site is pretty up-to-date, with tutorials from September 2014 (as of this edit).
- Another basic tutorial - might be outdated, but the information is still very helpful.
- Photoshop Roadmap
- Vandelay Designs (40 Photoshop Textures and Backgrounds Tutorials)
- Game Artist (Tutorial for creating tileable textures)
- Creating Textures: A 'How To' by Nikolai 'Mr. Lake' Mohilchock
Public domain image resource sites Edit
GPL image resource sitesEdit
Reminder: OpenArena uses GPLv2+ license; "GPLv3 only" and "GPLv3+" stuff is not acceptable.
Project stuff Edit
- List of missing textures
- List of missing textures and shaders of Q3 and TA maps
- List of Q3 and TA shaders
- List of textures and shaders of Q3 and TA maps
- List of OA shaders
- Q3A Shader Manual by Paul Jaquays and Brian Hook - HTML Edition by Heppler
- Q3MAP2 Shader Manual by Obsidian and ydnar
- How to fix textures that show a thin border where they should look totally transparent instead (e.g. some lights)
- Basic shader examples
- GLSL - How to create shaders using GLSL features for cool effects